Northwest NEWS

September 24, 2001



AUGUST 25 - At 6:21 p.m., an officer observed a brown pickup on SR 203 moving at about 15 m.p.h. with the driver's side tires over the center line and about five cars behind it. The driver of the first following car waved at the officer and pointed to the slow-moving pickup. The officer made a U-turn and found the pickup pulled over to the side of the road. As the officer approached, he smelled alcohol when he was five feet from the driver's window. The driver asked if she was in Sammamish. The officer found an empty 187 ml. wine bottle and a 2/3 empty beer on the floor of the truck. The driver said she'd had a little champagne at a wedding. She became increasingly vulgar, and told the officer he should be arresting young kids who drive drunk. Failing three times to give a valid breathalyzer sample, the officer gave her another opportunity at Issaquah Police Station. Her blood-alcohol was .122 at that time, three hours and 27 minutes after the traffic stop.
   AUGUST 27 - At 11:45 a.m. a QFC employee saw a shopper put a packaged pen and a pair of sunglasses in her fanny pack. Another employee saw the shopper leave without paying for them. The suspect was escorted back into the store and picked up by police. There were three employee witnesses. The suspect was booked into King County Jail for an unrelated warrant for Driving With License Suspended (DWLS3). Police recommend filing charges for 3rd Degree Theft.
   SEPTEMBER 8 - At 5:23 p.m., two officers arrived at a house with an outstanding warrant for DUI. When the resident saw them approaching, she closed and locked both side and front doors. The arresting officer spoke to the woman through a window, whereupon she began yelling obscenities, flipping off the officers, and refusing to come out of the house. She claimed the warrant had been quashed.
   While the officers rechecked the warrant by radio, the woman climbed into the attic, pulled up the ladder and locked the hatch. The Data operator said he held the warrant in his hand. An officer kicked open a door to gain entry. For the next 30 minutes the woman continued to yell and refused to open the attic hatch. Officers finally used a broom handle to force open the latch, but something was over the door and they could not open it. The woman then poured water down on the officers. A friend of the woman was also trying to talk her down from the attic. At 5:55 p.m., the officers and the friend convinced the woman to come down. She was booked into King County Jail on the DUI warrant. The arresting officer recommends she also be charged with Obstructing a Public Servant.