Northwest NEWS

October 15, 2001

Events

Candles cause house fire in Kenmore

Northshore Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire in the 14800 block of 75th Avenue Northeast in Kenmore. Upon arrival, firefighters reported flames shooting from a basement window of a two-level, wood-frame, single-story residence. Firefighters performed a primary and secondary search, finding no occupants inside. The fire was under control within minutes. Fire damage was confined to the lower level with heat and smoke damage extending to the remainder of the house. The Red Cross responded and will provide assistance to the occupants.
   The fire investigator determined the cause of the fire to be candles left burning unattended.
   Northshore Fire Department cautions people that candles should never be left burning unattended.
   Metal or glass candleholders should be used and these holders should be placed in a fire-resistant container large enough to hold any melted wax.