Northwest NEWS

December 24, 2001


Police Beat

Dec. 17: A family left and locked their home in the 14500 block of 132 Court Northeast around 4:30 in the afternoon. Upon returning around 9:30 that same day, they discovered the front screen door was broken. The door mat was moved to the side, but the front door was still locked. Officers responded and it was determined that the suspect(s) did not gain entry to the home.
   Dec. 14: Officers were called to the 13600 block of Northeast 175th Street for a fraud in progress. A man and woman were loading a large amount of iodine into their car. When officers questioned the woman about the $500 check she presented at the store, she explained that a friend needed the iodine for her horses. When officers questioned why someone would need such a huge amount of iodine, the woman admitted she and her boyfriend were purchasing the iodine for methamphetamine production. They were paying for the chemicals through identity theft. Once they had a person's information they would print fraudulent checks off their computer in that person's name.
   Officers arrested the couple and a search of the car incident to arrest yielded a garbage bag full of computer-printed checks, personal information about other victims of identity theft, methamphetamines and meth cookware and drug paraphernalia.
   Pending charges include Possession of Stolen Property 2, VUCSA violations, forgery and criminal impersonation.
   Dec. 9: An employee arrived at work to find the business burglarized. She immediately called the owner and explained that the cash register drawer was on the ground and around $40 was missing. The owner told the employee not to worry that he would take care of it. A few days later the owner called the police to report the burglary and theft from the 14400 block of Woodinville-Redmond road.
   Police lifted prints, but not much evidence could be gathered since the burglary had not been reported for a couple of days.
   When questioned as to why the owner didn't report earlier, he replied that he didn't want to be bothered with all the paperwork and police report over $40.