Northwest NEWS

January 7, 2002


Police Beat

Dec. 26: Police responded to a 9-1-1 call from the 18000 block of 142nd Avenue Northeast regarding a neighbor who was attacking his deck. Officers arrived to find the suspect kicking and smashing the structure. Officers knocked on the suspect's door, and he eventually answered. The suspect was extremely intoxicated and told officers that he had been in a fight with his girlfriend and was angry. The suspect was arrested and charged with Malicious Mischief Third Degree. Dec. 24: While on routine patrol, officers drove through the park & ride in the 17800 block of 140th Avenue Northeast. A man seated on a bench saw the police and quickly stuffed several items into a small black bag. Officers got out of the car to chat with the man, and while one officer spoke to the man, the second officer walked over to the black bag. The man told the first officer that he was waiting to take a bus to a friend's house in Bothell. Meanwhile the second officer saw needles and other drug paraphernalia in the open black bag.
   The suspect was arrested and reportedly admitted to police that he got bored while waiting for the bus and decided to shoot some heroin. Officers tested the suspected substance with a field chemical tester. The results were inconclusive. The case is under investigation pending a full chemical analysis of the suspected substance.
   Dec. 30: A man in the 12400 block of Northeast Woodinville Drive reported a stolen or missing shotgun. The gun was kept in a guitar case under the bed. When the police arrived, the man said that many friends and family had been at the apartment during the holiday period. However, the man refused to divulge any names. There was no sign of forced entry.
   Dec. 28: Returning from a call, an officer observed a car approaching northbound on 140th Avenue Northeast without headlights. The officer turned and followed the car which was weaving erratically within its lane. The officer stopped the car and became suspicious when the woman driving wouldn't look at or speak directly to him. Upon noticing a strong odor of alcohol coming from the car, the officer asked if the driver would perform some voluntary field sobriety tests.
   After completing the tests, the driver was arrested and her car impounded. She was then transported to Kenmore for a breath test. As a result of that test, the driver was cited for Driving Under the Influence.