Northwest NEWS

November 4, 2002


Thompson lifts Falcons past Tomahawks

whsfootball.jpg by Russ Paris
   On a cold 25-degree evening last Friday in Marysville, there were plenty of freezing toes and frigid fingers as the Woodinville Falcons (6-1, 7-1) played the Marysville-Pilchuck Tomahawks in nonleague play.
   It was Woodinville's Mark Thompson who provided the heat in the Falcon's big-play offense that gave WHS a 35-21 win.
   The Tomahawks' huge offensive line pounded the Falcons for 3-4 yards a play early in the game going 34 yards to take a 7-0 lead.
   Quarterback Matt Tuiasosopo proved he's back 100 percent with a 52-yard touchdown pass to Thompson which was called back on a Falcon infraction. But on the next play Tui faked the pass and ran 39 yards to the Tomahawk 16. Jared Todesco bounced outside for a 14-yard gain and Brady Galloway put it over the top. Bryce Wenker's kick tied the score at 7.
   In the second period Marysville continued their run-oriented split-T attack scoring again.
   Woodinville answered once more, this time with a slant pass to Thompson after which he outran everyone to the goal line and a 14-14 tie.
   The Falcons kicked off to start the second half and then forced Marysville to punt and took over on their own 33. Tuiasosopo showed off his hot arm as he heaved a missile to Casey Priseman on a 67-yard scoring play that put the Birds on top. The PAT was blocked.
   The Tomahawks answered in short order with a surprise play action pass and 7 points on the scoreboard.
   Behind 21-20, Woodinville's Jordan Wagner brought the ball back to midfield on the kickoff. Following a catch by Priseman for 11 yards, Tuiasosopo lofted the ball into the night sky, while on the ground a streaking Mark Thompson outran defenders catching it on the goal line for the score. On the PAT, Tuiasosopo again looked for the sure-handed Thompson, finding him alone in the back corner of the end zone for a two-point conversion putting WHS ahead 28-21.
   The Falcon defense stalled Marysville with under seven minutes to play, forcing a punt.
   Tuiasosopo scampered 65 yards down the left side giving the Birds a 35-21 lead that Thompson ensured with an interception ending the final Tomahawk drive.
   In other Kingco action, Bothell remained undefeated and won their first Kingco title in 50 years with a 34-7 win over their Northshore rival, Inglemoor.